Parents of a student who will attend kindergarten may register their child at the elementary school in the Johnston County School attendance area where their home is located. Registration takes about 15 minutes.
Students must be five (5) years old on or before August 31 of the year of enrollment in order to be eligible to attend kindergarten in the fall of that year. To enroll a child in kindergarten, parents must present the following:
ANY INFORMATION RECEIVED WILL NOT BE USED FOR IMMIGRATION PURPOSES.
- The child's certified birth certificate (if available) or other documented proof of age (Examples: birth certificate or hospital birth record recorded before age 5; or a religious record which shows your date of birth and was recorded before age 5. Other Examples: If you cannot obtain the preferred evidence of your age, you will be asked for other convincing evidence that shows your date of birth or age at a certain time such as: an original family bible or family record; school records; census records; a statement signed by the physician or midwife who was present at your birth; insurance policies; a passport; a delayed birth certificate; or an immigration or naturalization record.)
- A parent/guardian's picture identification with the same name as listed on the child's documented proof of age
- Proof of residence such as utility bill, land contract, etc. (A driver's license is not adequate proof of residence.)
- Physical Examination Form / Immunization Record - If the health assessment has not been completed, parents will be given a physical form to be completed by the physician prior to the first day of school.
There will be a countywide Kindergarten Registration Day for the 2013-2014 school year on Thursday, March 21, 2013 from 8:00-4:00.
Students who exhibit "an extraordinary level of academic ability and maturity" and have reached the age of four by April 16 are eligible to be considered for early entry into kindergarten. A team of educators review the following criteria to determine appropriate placement:
- Aptitude and achievement (Must be 98th percentile or above)
- Performance (Portfolio demonstrating outstanding ability)
- Observable Student Behavior, Motivation to Learn, Student Interest (Letters of recommendation, Social skills questionnaire, informal screening, and interview of the child)
Parents must obtain and pay for all assessments and submit the required documentation to the principal within the first 30 calendar days of the school's instructional year.
Visit "Guidelines to Early Entry to Kindergarten" or contact the Gifted Program Specialist at your child's assigned school for more information.
State law GS 130A-152 requires the following minimum doses:
5 DTP Shots (If 4th dose is on/after 4th birthday, 5th dose is not required.)
4 Polio Vaccine Doses (If 3rd dose is on/after 4th birthday, 4th dose is not required.)
3 Hepatitis B Shots2 Measles doses (at least 30 days apart; 1st dose on/after 12 months of age)
1 Mumps dose (on/after 12 months of age)
1 Rubella dose (on/after 12 months of age)
1-4 Hib doses (1 dose on/after 15 months and before age 5; not required after age 5)
1 Varicella dose (Children born after April 1, 2001)